We believe that community is crucial for social movements. And this is true even for folks in philanthropy. So whether you’re a part of Solidaire or another community, we hope you find your people and your place.
Some communities we love are:
Resource Generation organizes young people with wealth and class privilege in the U.S. to become transformative leaders working towards the equitable distribution of wealth, land and power.
Women Donors Network is a community with a purpose — together we connect, learn, and take action to further our shared vision of a more just, equitable, and sustainable world. As a community, WDN recognizes the systemic nature of many of the challenges we face as a society. We are committed to utilizing an intersectional lens – including race, class, gender, and sexual orientation – throughout our work.
The Democracy Alliance, founded in 2005, is the largest network of donors dedicated to building the progressive movement in the United States. We play a leading role in fostering the infrastructure necessary to advance a progressive agenda for America. We invest in every aspect of progressive power-building – from policymaking to organizing grassroots communities to winning state and national issue and electoral campaigns. We address the most pressing challenges of our day through investments in three connected areas: a just democracy, a fair economy and an environmentally sustainable future.
Over the past 10 years, the Democracy Alliance has helped to raise significant resources to promote progressive ideas, impact media coverage, develop new leadership, create sophisticated civic engagement strategies and engage young people and communities of color. In our collaborative giving strategy, an informed and engaged body of donors comes together to aggregate resources for focused investment, for which we have marshaled as much as $60 million per year.
Threshold is a progressive foundation and a community of individuals united through wealth, who mobilize money, people and power to create a more just, joyful and sustainable world.
Threshold today has two integrally linked components: A network of nearly 300 individuals and a progressive grantmaking foundation. Threshold members can be found at the helm of many of the most important social change and environmental non-profits, socially responsible companies, progressive family foundations, and centers for spiritual and human potential study. For three decades, Threshold has served as a quiet catalyst for the social and environmental change movements, by seeding thousands of non-profits and by supporting the inception of many sister donor organizations and socially responsible business networks throughout the world.
EDGE Funders Alliance is a network of funders and donors committed to global social change philanthropy, who believe that equity and justice – around gender, race, class, sexual orientation, nationality, migration status, and ability – are critical to furthering sustainable international well-being:
- We understand our work within a global context in which international policies as well as global economic interests and influences impact societies at all levels, and we recognize the systemic nature of many of the economic, social and ecological challenges facing humanity.
- We believe that support for local community empowerment, more democratic national and international governance and strengthened grassroots and transnational movements go hand in hand; and that here-and-now efforts focused on struggles for a better life keeps our work grounded, while long-term efforts to build “another possible world” helps keep ultimate goals in sight.
- We value the experience and perspectives of local communities, and recognize the importance of networking and organizing between grassroots groups and their civil society allies.
- While diverse in our issues, strategies and grantmaking, we believe that to be effective as social change philanthropists, we must promote an internal culture that is empowering, accountable, compassionate, inclusive and democratic.
- Through our efforts and in partnership with grassroots and civil society allies at home and abroad we hope together to more effectively support the transformation of our world into a livable global community that is just, responsible and sustainable for all.